Friday 28 March 2014

Why you can't have enough Viscounts

Viscount Aerospace Sport
It was only a few days ago when I sang high praises on the Panaracer Pasela amber-walled tyres. I've ridden mine since October and only had two punctures so far. Correction: three, including today. So you can probably imagine how miffed I was when I had a flat rear. No, don't even think about my arse!
With a shrug, I put the red flash back into the shed and pulled out the blue Aerospace Sport. Went to the shop, played with bikes and wheels all day then, on way back, I thought the squeaking noise coming from the front of my bike didn't sound healthy, so I stopped to investigate. Bugger! That stem was way too far out. How did that happen? I have no idea. Whenever I rode it it was fine. Now that damn stem has an imperial-sized bolt and, unfortunately, I don't have the right-sized tool for it (yet). I'd put it off to buy one because everything was fine. Pushed the bike home, cursing under my breath.
Note to self: get imperial-sized allen keys, woman!
I won't be able to fix both bikes until Sunday as I'm busy with other things tomorrow. But how lucky am I to
Viscount Aerospace Pro
have the Viscount Aerospace Pro still sitting in my shed? Okay, its wheels are a tad on the risky side (spokes too loose and pretty rusty), and the handlebar tape has sort of come loose but, who cares? I haven't ridden that bike in ages, it may be good to shake off some of the cob-webs. As you know, it's my restoration project and needs the wheels cleaned and rebuild as well as various parts re-chromed; I also have new cotton-cloth handlebar tape sitting here, waiting to be used.
Let's see if that bike is actually rideable--I haven't checked. If everything fails, I still have my mamachari ...
Anyway, once the special Viscount tool arrives, I'll give the blue one a proper once over, then swap the stem for a shorter SR, with blue plastic handlebar tape (not sure how it will feel), and service the bottom bracket. When I've got my other bikes built, I'll have the blue one resprayed, too. That'll be six Viscounts in total then. And one Lococo, which means I'll have a bike for every day of the week. How cool's that?

4 comments:

  1. You have it bad !!
    I only have one Viscount , so I must be in serious trouble I need more Biscuit's !!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But, but ... you have THE biscuit!

      Delete
    2. I have the crumbs , the main part has gone to the spa for a facial

      Delete
    3. You'll be so amazed when it comes back all refreshed! Riding a restored Viscount is one of the best feelings ever. Any Viscount, really. Or bike. As long as it has two wheels. :-)

      Delete