Sunday 16 March 2014

In case you wanted to see what 'happy' looks like ...

... after taking my red flash for a spin, that is. Luke, the ueber-apprentice mechanic at Micycle N1, and I have swapped bikes for a minute; I got to test my non-existent fixie skills, which was only proven by the fact that I couldn't really brake by stopping to pedal. The bike just rolled. Okay, in my defense, it wasn't a road bike conversion, but more a mountain/BMX style heavy bike and I was suitably relieved it has brakes on it. Given the fact that I almost fell off the bike even before I sat on it properly. Riding fixed is indeed something you need to get used to. Next week I'll be testing someone else's fixie and see how I get on. May just borrow it for a spin to see how I get on. Oh dear. I'm an experienced rider, but the pedals just stay where they are when you stop--no 'just positioning' to where it's convenient. Hope I won't crash, as I doubt it'll be much appreciated if I bring it back as a pretzel -- just kidding!
Anyway, Luke had fun with my Viscount and came back with a big grin on his face. That's what happens if you dare to sit on a re-build like that. And here's the proof:

Luke testing my Viscount
Just to show how strong he light the bike is



And there's something else that brought a smile to my face: the file set Lidl's got on offer this week. As you know I'm adding to my tool-collection bit by bit and files are something no workshop should be without. If it's brakes, drop outs, cut off stems or steerers (or torn fingernails!), files are great.

Only 6.99 from Lidl
I learned how to use them in wood work class at school and, more recently, the techniques when filing metal: steady and even moves with one hand on the grip and one at the end of the file to keep it flat, only one direction; best away from you. There, that's my nerdy tip for today done.
Talking about files: I recently filed my brake pads as they had a bit of wear but, although having had them since October, they're still doing a great job. I can highly recommend those pads--grey for alloy; salmon for chrome--and they're also great value while suiting the 'look' of older bikes. My rear brake is NOS Weinmann, though, with original pads; they're momentarily posing a problem: the pads seem to come out, so I'll have to find a solution for that. If I'm honest, I only ever use the front brake but, in an emergency, it would be nice if I actually could use the rear in addition and not have my brake blocks flying forward. Guess I'll have to investigate and see what I come up with. I'll report back, as usual.

No comments:

Post a Comment