Friday 14 March 2014

'They're all cheap skates.'

Original Viscount hub with 27" rims
That was a statement of a bike shop I popped into today to quickly introduce the wheels I'll soon be offering. Said bike shop was in a posh area, where people with lots of money live. Shocking, I find. My reply was that those, who just want to ride a 'retro frame' bastardised with mix and match components and cheap wheels, aren't my clients. To be honest, I know what it feels like to be skint and I also know that once I gulped when I was told a good set of new wheels would cost me around 120 GBP, but I really wanted the 27 1 1/4 wheels with original Viscount hubs, and if I hadn't been so ambitious to build the wheels myself, I'd have handed the job over to an experience wheel-builder. After all, a good quality set of wheels makes all the difference when you're riding a lot. So, yes, I shaved the costs by researching, comparing, and doing it myself. Possibly luck, too, since I stumbled over used Viscount hubs in fairly good condition, mirror polished them before replacing the bearing myself, and then building the wheels. I think I paid about 110 for the set which otherwise would have set me back about 150 GBP. And I had the enormous pleasure of creating something with my own hands. I was after quality and I got what I wanted. My wheels are still running true, even after almost half a year. Not bad, eh? (Okay, I admit, I had to throw them into the jig for a tiny tweak, but really nothing major, and they were my first pair.)
I doubt this would be the case with those cheapish factory wheels you can order. And those come with low flanges. Terrible! In addition to this, most have an OLD (over locknut dimension) of 130mm, whereas many old frames--like Viscounts/Lamberts--take 126mm. Yes, you can bend a frame, but why not leave it as it is and buy a rear wheel with a hub that fits your bike perfectly? If you have a 27" fork, then get 27 1 1/4 wheels, anything else, I find, is wrong. Personally, I aim at those who want to lovingly restore their bikes, or just change the chrome rims for chrome-look rims, with large flanges.
I want to cater for those who, like me, pay for the frame to be powder coated, with new graphics, with original chain rings, cranks and all the bells and whistles. I want to be found by people who truly love their bikes and not just use them as accessory to look cool. Customers, who insist on a set of wheels for fifty quid, will have to get them from elsewhere. I offer something unique: Vintage Bicycle Wheels for those who appreciate the craft of wheel building.
I told that shop that if everyone would think the big blue and yellow furniture store is the best there is, all those carpenters, who do bespoke furniture, would be out of a job. They aren't, and that gives me high hopes. I doubt that 180 GBP for a good set of wheels is too much when restoring a bike. A good new bike off the peg could easily start at 600, and you don't have anything unique. My red Aerospace Sport cost me roughly (really just an estimate) 300 and that only because the frame initially was a gift and came with the graphics and bottom bracket, and no delivery charges. Mates rates, if you will. (I will thank you properly on the 28th of June, Steve!) I then just needed to strip down Shawn and transfer everything to the new frame.
I plan to note down how much my Aerospace Sport frame will cost me which I'll build up for touring as it'll get a complete overhaul: powder coating, wheels, components (handlebar, group set, seat post, Brooks saddle, the lot.). I guess it'll come in at about 500 pounds.
And my Indy 500 will also get a 'new' pair of wheels, too. I'll use old alloy 27" rims, but new hubs and spokes. The frame's rusty and a shiny pair of wheels would look wrong on it, but they'll be 27"nevertheless. I think they'll also be the first pair of wheels I'll build once the stock's in. Can't wait! Then I can use Sean's bits and bobs he's sent and put the Indy back where it belongs: on the road.

2 comments:

  1. Word of mouth, quality will out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I certainly hope so, otherwise I'll be bugged. :-)

      Delete