Sunday 23 March 2014

I can barely contain myself!

Quite a few things are happening at the moment and I thought I could share them with you. First of all: I've finally given the go-ahead for an ueber-special tool that will soon sort out all bottom bracket problems of mine and others' Viscounts/Lamberts. It's a combined press and puller tool and I've been gagging to hold this in my hands for quite a while now. There will only be two people in the UK--probably in the world--who have this particular puller and that'll be Busaste and myself. When it comes to those press-fit bottom brackets, I prefer to do it the proper way; of course you can use a hammer and force, but why not press or remove them with as little impact as possible? After all, if the shell's damaged, the bike's lost one of its most iconic and recognisable features. Let me show you again how sexy a bottom bracket can look:

The sexiest bottom bracket!
In my opinion, nothing's coming even close to this beautiful invention. They are a bugger to deal with, though, if you don't have above mentioned tool. Yes, admittedly, I've hammered one out and, thankfully, was able to keep the frame intact, but it took me a serious amount of time to get a new one in and the spindle's not seated properly; missing a millimetre or so. With the special tool, I'll be able to have it as perfectly aligned as in the picture. Did I mention that perfectionism is a bully? I'll be able to 'practice' on my own bikes (Shawn and the blue Aerospace Sport) as both need re-adjusting, and on my friend's bike as he wants to dismantle an older Viscount frame, which gives me the opportunity to 'test-drive' my shiny new tool. If only I already had it ...
Now for more good news: I'm also soon going ahead with my wheel building; in fact, I'll be the new resident wheel builder of a bike shop. Get that, eh? Here's a picture of me re-building a customer's rear wheel. I assume that man's already out and about, enjoying his ride.
I find lacing a wheel relaxing
I'm expecting to be trading beginning of April, so if you're looking for a new set of wheels for your restoration project, please do get in touch: roundandtrue [at] gmail [dot] com Hope I won't live to regret this if orders come in thick and fast. :-) One's allowed to hope, no?

2 comments:

  1. How would i be able to get a hold of one of these tools! I'm trying to fix up my aerospace sport the proper way! and all I need is this and the proper cassette tool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Now you're out in the open, my dear. Hi, Matthew, nice to speak to a 'real' name. Well, the bottom bracket tools is custom made for me. You can fix a Viscount's BB with a home made tool. Pressing the bearings in isn't the biggest problem, but pulling the spindle through is. Particularly since it needs to be sitting smack bang perfect to get a perfect chain line. I think if I hadn't had the chance to get this tool, I'd have made one myself. No idea how, but I'm quite inventive.

    And what you need is that Shimano freewheel tool (20mm); the one I posted on the forum. They are for the small diametre your skip tooth freewheel has.

    ReplyDelete