Sunday 9 March 2014

Hey, you on your Viscount. Stop!

This, or something along the lines, is what I'd shout at anyone I spot riding a Viscount. Of course, even though risking to look like a complete twat. Do I care? Not so much; I'm on a mission.
Today was the first really warm--almost hot--day after the winter, and surely, I was out on my red flash, in shorts and the Viscount jersey. How could I not?
I awoke rather early; and was all excited to get out and ride in bright sunshine, under blue sky. Bliss. After first a fruit salad and then a healthy fry up (does that even exist?), all accompanied with about two litres of fluid, I set off towards Richmond Park. I know last time I said I'm tired of the route leading to Battersea Park but, as you know, I'm a direction-challenged person, and I figured from Battersea to Richmond should be easy.

Break in Battersea Park
Well, I never arrived in Richmond Park. Any more questions? No, I thought so. Upset with my lack of orientation I decided to do one or two lapse in Hyde Park, then cycle home over Camden's outer circle. While trying to find Hyde Park, I saw a guy riding on a very familiar brand of bike: yes, a Viscount. I went head to head with him and asked--no, almost demanded for him to stop. You know when I see another Viscount in the wild, I get so giddy, I lose control over my actions. Luckily, he and his girlfriend understood that it's genuine passion pouring out of me, and forgave my 'attack'. I think if my eyes lit up a little bit more, you could start a fire with them.

Lovely blue Viscount Tony Doyle edition
The (un)lucky Viscount owner
It's was a lovely Tony Doyle and seemed to be all original. He had a few problems with his hubs and bottom bracket, but after a quick check I assured him that he needs to get them serviced and it'll be fine.
I've also invited him to the Death Fork Rally 2 which will take place on the 28th of June 2014 somewhere in the midlands. I think the event is still open yet, but we're working on it. By we I mean a few make suggestions and we agree or not. ;-)
Anyhow, I cycled for about 3.5 hours, I think, but had quite a few involuntary breaks (when I got lost again or met someone and had a quick chat).
Oh, and I'll be ordering a blue jersey, soon, as the wonderful Sean has sent the parcel with the rather wonderful shiny--as opposed to my Indy's--parts, which means I'll hopefully cycle around on the blue Indy conversion with a flip flop hub using said donation. It'll be a blast.

No comments:

Post a Comment