Wednesday 21 May 2014

Viscounts all around and a little help here and there

I was finally able to take my friend's yellow flash for a test ride and went to Hackney to enquire about something for a customer. On my way I had to stop at Mamachari to show off the little beauty and Jacobo, who's been working there for a while, was more than happy to see me to look after the shop for a minute. Not a problem, and possibly fate, as the door opened and someone pushed in ... guess what? Yep, a Viscount. My eyes grew wide and I immediately told him I loved him (no kidding!). The guy laughed and I started to take a closer look, when it dawned on me that it's Carlos, who I'd stopped a few months ago, when I was on my way to work. As you're aware I am like that: I see someone on a Viscount and demand a chat. Crazy, I know. Could be worse, I guess.
He greeted me with a wide grin and said that he'd been in the shop last week to get a new seat post; the one he'd had was too short for him, and he said he'd left it with Noah with the words: Please, give it to the Viscount girl. I immediately went on a hunt for the seat post and dug it out. Upon laying my eyes on it my heart accelerated and I asked if I could give him a hug as it was exactly what I was looking for for the rally bike: an in perfect nick alloy seat post which, if I'm not mistaken, it's original, too, as it's 26.8mm, a rather unusual size--typical for Viscounts' Aerospace frames.
Imagine this one mirror polished!
26.8 "vintage" alloy seat post
The bolts need replacing, but other than that ...
You can probably imagine that I was a happy bunny, and to prove that he's happy about handing this sexy seat post over to me, here's a picture of both of us with our Viscounts and me holding the desired piece in my hands. Thank you, Carlos! I hope you're reading this.


And it doesn't end here. I wasn't sure if I should post this, but why not? In the end this all is happening because of this blog. Rewind to Monday:
I got a call from my mate and colleague at Micycle, and he informed me that, on Sunday, someone walked in, Viscount frame and crank set tugged under his arm, asking for me. I was a bit baffled, and thought about someone else who Noah had sent my way, but nope it was someone who'd read my blog (hi, Joseph :-) and was very much inspired by my enthusiasm. By the sounds of it, I was his only hope to get his Viscount project off the ground. The frame is a gorgeous fillet-brazed one with braze-on cable guides, but it's a tad tricky to find out what exactly it is. Joseph explained it came with the original alloy fork (by the sounds of it either a mark 2 or 3--therefore safe to ride) and original long-reach centre pull brakes, which would point (for me) to an Aerospace Pro as some came with 700c wheels. The curious thing is that it has a cut out at the bottom bracket (where the number normally is) and I've not seen that before, but am in contact with Steve, the expert and will send pictures to get this frame identified. Joseph and I have decided to stick with the press-fit bottom bracket (wise decision), and I'm getting the wheels (pardon the pun) in motion to source a spindle. For your information: normally the bearings would be 6003 2RS, which stands for two rubber seals. Very exciting times for me as I can make use of my wonderful Viscount bottom bracket puller and installation tool. Phil Wood, here I come! And the frame will also get a lovely powder coating and lacquer, plus transfers.
I'm deeply honoured to help with this project, not only because it's another Viscount saved from rotting, but mainly because Joseph is putting his trust in my expertise, not only as a Viscount crazy girl, but also as a mechanic. It means a lot to me. Pictures of the project will, of course, be taken and put on this very blog. If the owner agrees, that is. 

No comments:

Post a Comment