Monday 5 May 2014

And my Viscounts shall be shiny from now on!

I'm building my rally bike from NOS and original, and second hand (as original) components, which will pose a challenge regarding the finish of the various alloy parts. The hubs I plan on using are original Viscount, but looking a bit dull at the moment. ( I'm on the hunt for a rear hub, by the way.)
Since the bike will get a new powder coat with clear lacquer finish, and new wheels (polished alloy rims), I'd like to have all other parts to be shiny, too. My first encounter with a polishing kit in combination with a bench grinder was awesome, albeit a bit dirty. I was looking into hand-polishing, but since I've got quite a few things to mirror polish and a rather painful RSI in my right arm, I've decided to go for a polishing kit instead--those that can be screwed onto an electric drill.
I need to polish:
An SR stem
Drop handlebars
Crank set
Pedals
Hubs
in short everything I can take to a polishing wheel.
This bike has to be bling and you'll understand once you'll see the pictures, which I'll not reveal until the rally day on June 28th.
Being the woman I am, I'm also looking further ahead and, knowing how much fun (and useful for future polishing jobs) a bench grinder can be, found one offer I couldn't resist. Meet Hugo, my new friend:

Nice ears!
I was after a 370W grinder as the 150W ones are not able to keep up with the impact of grinding or polishing. Even the 370W slow down significantly if you have a heavily corroded piece of steel. Now this one required me to go to Hatfield (just outside north London), but it was worth it. The now previous owner had bought it for his work and its purpose was--believe it or not--to clean and polish armour. The very lovely guy works in the film industry, travelling the world, looking after costumes. Somehow, they didn't need the grinder a lot and therefore it became a dust collector. Hugo will be well loved once Ben and I are able to move into a workshop--any workshop. It seems as if the deal in Dalston isn't going to happen any time soon, so we're looking for another place, preferable around Finsbury Park, Hackney or central London. Workshop space for a good price is really hard to come by, but we're not giving up hope. It'll definitely the birth place for many Viscounts, all with shiny parts on it, of course.

No comments:

Post a Comment