Wednesday 28 May 2014

No, I will not be defeated! Unlike a certain hex key ...

When you're new to bicycles, everyone will tell you that old bikes always come with problems. I never objected to such commentary, but it also never put me off. Most of mine are almost 40 years old and given that age, they've actually all been quite all right to work on, bar one, which is now a case for an expensive repair job, but that can wait.
Shawn had been my biggest challenge, but mostly because I didn't know what I was doing. Now, several Viscounts and one Lambert later, plus much better equipped with tools, most of the little hurdles are easily overcome.
As reported in my previous post, the bottom bracket was so shot, it disintegrated when I knocked it out. I assume even if I'd used the puller tool, it would have come apart, leaving one of the outer bearing races stuck in the drive side--a rather annoying thing to happen if you don't have a fully working hammer. The one I have can safely be called vintage with its wooden handle, but that's not really the issue; the head flying off as soon as I use that tool, however, is.

8 Oz hammer, look how shiny it is! And a centre punch
Time for a new, modern, hammer; I needed to get some Emery paper anyway to prepare the spindles, and while I was there I also got a centre punch and circlip pliers, something every Viscount & Lambert mechanic needs. Unfortunately I can't recommend using the centre punch during an operation 'free the bottom bracket shell from unwanted metal ring'--at least not if you're keen on not hurting yourself. Tried to do that for about two minutes by not wacking it hard enough, which resulted in my fingers being safe, but also in the bearing race staying where it was. Dammit! I needed a bigger tool. A screw driver was perfect, and the combination of that (with my fingers out of the way) and the new hammer doing a fine job, the bearing race was out soon. I then checked the frame and can report that it's not damaged! Hallelujah!

Gotcha!
Lambert bottom bracket shell still intact!
Now all I needed to do is part that stem from the fork.
After sweating over the stem bolt which refused to turn, leaving me with some unwanted Tool Art, I bought another set of imperial-sized hex keys and got cracking. Literally. My biggest worry was that it wouldn't come loose and that I'd have to saw through the stem; something you don't want to think about since it's the original Lambert stem which takes the L- or V-branded bolts. With that new hex key in place and an old steel seat post with seat still attached (don't ask!), I gave it some welly and with a mighty crack it came loose. Phew! I guess the repeated spraying with rust dissolver played a big part in that, too.

Apparently I'm Superwoman
Freed for the first time in 40 years!
Corroded stem bolt!
As you can tell from the pictures, the stem bolt's corrosion is too heavy. Luckily I still have the bolt from the stem that broke a few weeks ago. It looks, though, as if I won't be using the stem anyway as it's 100mm, which may be a tad too long for me on the 22.5 inch frame. Need to test it. Anyway, all parts are now cleaned and ready to be mirror polished. Next picture of that Lambert will be taken when we're
out on a ride. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment