Thursday 1 May 2014

A rally bike dilemma

100% Lambert and Viscount
If you own Viscounts or Lambert bikes you always have to expect the unexpected. In a good way. Okay, I have been warned; people told me that if you're dealing with old bicycles, you've got to be prepared as they're a lot of work. Nonsense, I say. The amount of times I've heard mechanics curse over 'new' bikes that were in a state--even with all the Campagnolo stuff on them--would make your ears ring. Seriously. Working on any of of Viscounts is a doddle compared to that. But if you encounter a problem with a bike that's special in every way, it's generally something more costly. Like the crack in the blue frame. An estimate was 'up to about £100' as a new part would need to be brazed in. It's still not overly expensive, but it's something that's biting a big hole into my already deep pockets for which my arms are way too short. I'm pondering if I should do it or if I should just send Shawn instead. He's only got the cracked seat tube, which will be far less to fix. On the other hand, I've already set my heart on the blue bike to become the rally bike. Oh, decisions, decisions.
While I'm debating with myself I'm busy collecting parts for the build and I'm utterly delighted to say that I've acquired a NOS Shimano Titlist GS--or tit-list  as I'd like to pronounce it--derailleur and will a front mech with the same name from a fellow Viscount/Lambert owner to go with it.. It may not be the Crane/Dura Ace GS, but that's fine by me, although I've got my eye on one, too.  It's just too funny a name to not be put on a bike. Tit-list, that is. Not to confused with that golf-sport brand, which is called Titlelist, with an e.
Sexy or what?
The bike will also be equipped with the port hole chain ring and some curious find: a rare skip-tooth freewheel.
Not to forget the NOS Lambert centre pulls which will finally, after 40 years, begin their duty. Awesome! Courtesy of Pete, who said he wanted them to go to a good home. He's another Viscount enthusiast, by the way. I must say the guys, and gal, are wonderful in general. Everyone is helping each other and I've even got a friend from the US involved as he's helping me to avoid the silly delivery charges of the Titlist GS. I personally believe Viscount and Lambert owners are the best people in the world.
That said, they may also be a bit crazy--and I'm the leader of all things crazy, I believe. Busaste joked, saying I should make sure I've got something pink on my rally bike, to which I replied I'd see if I could find a pink bell. But I found something else, far better and useful:

Pink alloy quill pedals

Now, if only I could decide which bike to get repaired and prepaired for the rally. I'm still leaning towards the blue one.

Edit: I've now thrown the idea of fixing either Shawn or the blue one for this project and instead am getting an Aerospace Pro frame that another fellow Viscountier kept aside for me. It's been hanging in his shed for ages, doing nothing, and it's in perfect (no stuck seat posts, splits or tears) condition and ready to be build-up. I'll get the two other bikes repaired at some point, though.

No comments:

Post a Comment