Sunday 26 January 2014

Rust dissolver and elbow grease

I've been working on an off on the Indy 500, stripping it completely, cleaning the parts, in order to re-use some of them and keep the rest for other projects. The seat post was stuck, but with my trusted rust dissolver, it wasn't that hard to get it out.
The bottom bracket (fixed-cup),too, was seized up and rusty, but looked worse than it was. A few drops of Plus Gas and seconds later, I could easily unscrew it. I don't think the bike has been serviced in a long while; the grease came out in bits. Pretty disgusting and I found a cockroach shell in the BB shell. Cringe-worthy!
My main concern now is the handlebar stem, which refuses to come unstuck. I put in Plus Gas and tried moving it--to no avail. I then gave it a few smacks on the stem bolt--still no movement. Bugger! Should I really? I thought. Yes, I decided. So I put the fork into the vice and put all my weight (not a little!) on it, and it finally made the desired sound: a low-pitched creaking. Yes! I was on the road to success. That was when I saw I'd bent the fork. No problem, though, steel can be bend back into shape, which I did. As always: reverse the action that bent it in the first place. Sorted. I didn't pay attention--my fault. If you do the fork-in-vice approach, you need to put the forks as close as possible to the crown as it's the stiffest there. Obviously. Silly me. Well, at least the stem's moving, which is a good sign. I couldn't finish the job as the guys in the shop needed the room and, frankly, it's a two-man-job or, as in my case, a one-woman/one-man. But we'll get there. I'll not be defeated by a handlebar stem! After quickly consulting with Noah, from Mamachari, I think I'm in with a good chance to get the stem out with no damage to fork, stem, or wedge. The small range of movement suggests that the stem was still screwed in too far.
Maybe I should apply this scary look of mine. The guys at Micyle seem to think I can make tools break in fear of me--just by looking at them. Not sure I'd agree with that. I could try, though, if only to make that stem quiver, which would probably be enough to set it free.
This story will be continued ...

2 comments:

  1. Hi what make is the rust dissolver you used? And do you know where I can get any from? please email as I've been looking for this stuff for months, thanks.
    Tallen1990@live.co.uk

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, sorry for the late reply. Blogger doesn't tell me when someone posts. This dissolver is from Lidl -- a one-off purchase, but you can get Plus Gas easily from eBay or elsewhere. Plus Gas is the one I swear by. Seriously. Will email you, too.

    ReplyDelete