Saturday 1 February 2014

Viscountess out and about

Note: there's nothing, and by that I mean nothing, noble about me. I thought I'd get that out of the way before you think I've lost it. It's a great title, though, Viscountess. I should change my Twitter account to it instead of @viscountstella. That said, I just checked and the name's taken. Damn!
However, silly names and that aside, as the title says, I was making the most of the great weather today. Well, great in the form of it not raining and strong winds shoving clouds across the otherwise blue sky. I can't get over how lucky we've been with the weather; ideal for someone who loves cycling, but hates the cold wet. I'm a summer child (born in May, if you must know), and as soon as the sun's out, I'm on a high--and on the bike, for that matter.
So after a decent breakfast of omelette on a slice of sourdough bread, an apple and three large mugs of tea, I went to prepare myself for the 'big' ride.

Warning: oncoming girlie bit: I've got a new favourite hairdo, which is particularly practical for cycling. As beautiful as very long blonde hair waving in the wind might be, it's rather unpleasant when you get a gust from behind, as you're blinded by a curtain--the unsexy flip side. Don't get me wrong, I often cycle with my hair just fluttering around my head, but today I felt like keeping it a bit more under control. And the wonderful French side-braid looks really nice, too. Practical and pretty, what's not to like? (By the way, I never noticed how shiny and healthy my hair looks. Sorry, guys, you've been warned.) End of girlie bit.
Five minutes later, I was all set for an easy ride through London. 
Normally, I'd go to Lea Valley, but after the constant rainfalls in the past few days it most possibly resembles more a swimming poor than anything else. Thanks, but no thanks. I don't like getting wet from above, and certainly don't need to get drenched from below. My plan was to go to Hyde Park via Camden's Regent's Park, always quite nice as the outer circle gives a wonderful opportunity to challenge the leg muscles in a nice sprint. I did a bit more of that than originally planned, but I'll get to the 'why' later.
Since I haven't been out on a ride for a week or so--the short trips of 30 minutes don't count--I was glad to be reunited with my beloved red Aerospace Sport. Did I mention that I'm in love with that bike? Not only because I built it myself, but because it just flies. Mind you, when the wind came from the side, I started to wobble. Of course, the bike itself is a lightweight, something that can't be said about me. Although, I'm working on it.
One of many informatino points 
Going over Camden road, uphill, downhill, left, then ... where exactly? I've strayed from my normal route to try something else and ... got lost. How surprising! Believe me, I have no idea how I could have missed Robert Street and ended up in Delancey Street, basically having made an unnecessary loop. At least I then knew where I was and could continue my way. Or could I? The hurdle was to find Baker Street to get to Hyde Park. Dead simple on the map! But a challenge for me. What can I say? Challenge won, I lost. What the heck is wrong with my brain? It's about five minutes from Regent's Park to Hyde Park, but I cycle around in circles, not even being close. Luckily, London provides those handy maps all over the city--normally for the confused tourists, but very important information points for terribly lost Stellas. Only to find that Hyde Park wasn't even on the one I consulted first. Bugger.

Large Water Hyde Park
Eventually, I found my destination and cycles around for some time, enjoying the wind cooling my face; the Viscount effortlessly rolling under me, past other cyclists and behind those in Lycra. The park is rather odd to cycle in, well, you can't really cycle much in it. Most paths are marked as 'no cycling', and the cycle lanes are blocked by people on Boris bikes. Often tourists who cycle on the wrong side, or next to each other, texting, taking pictures, chatting, dreaming--the lot. Today, I saw a girl almost falling over with a Boris bike; she had a lucky escape, but I'm always amazed there are people who never rode a bike. If only they knew what they're missing out on.
I stopped at the Long Water to take a picture, before heading back to Regent's Park's outer circle for a last round, which accidentally became two. Needless to say, that it took me ages and a lot of head scratching to find my way back to Regent's Park. And, having finally arrived on the outer circle, I managed to miss the exit I normally take, wondering if someone's secretly moved it. How was that possible? Although I was already a little light-headed and extremely hungry after 2.5 hours of zigzaging through the city, I decided to do another round and then head home. On second attempt, I found my way out and was soon back at Finsbury Park, looking forward to a nice large Amaretto Latte and a bowl of pasta. Tomorrow, I'm planning to go for another ride, maybe to Epping Forest, although I fear I'll probably end up in Timbuktu.

4 comments:

  1. Jem, Jem, if you need tips, ask me, and you can braid your wife's hair. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the offer. She's quite good on the plaiting and braiding though. I'll send you a pic sometime

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of you with braided hair? I'd quite like to see that.

      Delete