Wednesday 22 January 2014

A new addition to my collection

I did it again! Despite my best intentions not to get another bike--trust me, being Viscount crazy doesn't come cheap--I couldn't resist the one I saw on eBay today. I mean it was 47 or best offer. I got it for 35 and got to travel to the roots of many beautiful Viscounts: Potters Bar. Although most fillet brazed frames were build in Bilston factory, the lugged frames mainly came from Potters Bar. So, I thought it's rather apt to get a bike which had returned to its birthplace. I'll post more detailled pictures tomorrow.

Look at those killer lights!
It's got to be a Viscount
It's in a really beautiful light blue. What I didn't see is that it is in quite a state, but since I was looking for a pub bike, something I can just ride around from A to B, to go shopping or visit the museum, without having to worry it's gone when I return to the bike, this one seems to be perfect. It's got quite a bit of rust, but it shouldn't be a problem. From a mechanic's point of view the bike doesn't need much to be made fit for its purpose: the bottom bracket needs a bit of greasing, but doesn't have any play, which is always a good sign. I'll also re-grease the sealed bearing hubs and see if they come back to life; if not I'll just replace the bearings. And I'll build new wheels with old alloy rims. Interestingly, the hubs aren't branded which, I assume, may mean they're Viscount's unbranded version, but I haven't cleaned them properly, perhaps it'll reveal something new.
The Weinmann centre pull brakes are in good condition and work well; they're even sharp on the current steel rims.
Something one can't possibly tell from a picture is that the chain is worn beyond 1%, which means I need to bin the freewheel, too. Not too sure about the chain ring, but it looks like it had better days. And since the handlebar is pretty rusty, I think the best would be to make this bike a fixie. I'll fit the Sprint's rear carrier to it and flat handlebars. It'll be a solid work horse and a perfect addition to my Viscount stable. It's also a good opportunity to improve on my mechanical skills. Since I've never converted a bike, it'll be interesting to see how I get on with it.
Gee, should I really have a fixie soon? Well, I'll refrain from colourful rims and all that trendy stuff; it's a Viscount after all. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment