Sunday 12 January 2014

I'm in love!

I couldn't be any more proud even if I tried. Have you ever ridden a Viscount? I mean one with a press-fit bottom bracket? No? Then I'd recommend to stop any person on such a bike (could also be a Lambert), and give it a go. If everything's set up correctly, it's a dream. I mean it. Since I've finished my re-built, I've been on a few rides up to 22 miles (stop laughing!) and am blown away. And, every time I look at it, I'm falling in love all over a again.
Not only that, everywhere I go and 'park' the bike, people will stop to take a closer look. Of course it's rather 'bling', but it's just ...err ... easy on the eye in general. Can one ever get enough of that sight? I have a feeling it's impossible.
Anyhow, I went to a bike shop where I'll have an interview next week, just to take the bike out, and when I arrived I thought I might as well pop in and say hello. Poor people where quite surprised; guess they learned the hard way that I'm Miss Cheeky in person. They made time for a quick chat and the owner was keen to take my bike for a spin. I'm very proud to say that he liked it a lot and was impressed with the tight set-up of the brakes (Mafac for the front; I haven't got round to get a bolt for the other NOS Weinmann brake yet). Well, a tight set up is only possible if the wheels are true. Am I brimming with pride, by any chance? Damn right I am. :-)
So next project will be the re-built of the frame my friend Jem gave me. I have something very special planned for it and only two people are 'in' on the plan and both love the idea. I asked them as they're both massive Viscount/Lambert enthusiasts and if they'd have disapproved, I wouldn't go ahead. In the end of the day, we want to keep the legacy of those fantastic bikes alive, any venturing off in a slightly different direction could potentially be misunderstood. Glad the guys liked what I have in mind. (Thanks, you two.)
And there's also the wheel-building business that I'm about to start. It's not that easy to get my hands on the sort of hubs I want, but I guess with a bit of 'creative thinking' I can make things happen. Exciting times ahead, methinks, and I can't wait. 

No comments:

Post a Comment