Monday 20 January 2014

I kit you not!

... but a fellow Viscount enthusiast does. Not only has he a stunning Aerospace GP, no, he also has designed two Viscount jerseys to wear when going on a ride. I'm most certainly going to get both of them, but I'm particularly, and very deeply, in love with the red one. It's my favourite colour and I assume I'd make quite the entrance with that jersey and my beautiful red Sport. Did I mention that red is my favourite colour?

 


Anyway, I think he did a terrific job by keeping the design simple and letting the logos speak for themselves. I once asked what those designers were smoking when they came up with them, for the odd combination of letters, albeit beautiful and very, very affective. (Yes! affective!) Admittedly, also effective. I think the marketing people in the 70s were exceptionally good with their slogans, too. Having worked as a copywriter, I know how hard it can be to come up with the right one and I love all of them.
I mean, look at this one, for instance. Genius! In a time when Weight Watchers became popular. Or how about this innuendo? I absolutely love it.
Anyhow, back to the jerseys, I'm wondering if wearing them makes me a better, fitter, and faster rider. Would they make me fly up this hill, for instance? I know, it doesn't look like much, does it? I huffed and puffed in the lowest gear, but I made it! I tell you, me and my Viscount are the team.



In general, it's interesting how much my stamina's improving in general. Since I have this new one, I'm braving longer distances and the hill. Just before Christmas, I remember trying this particular one, and it was too much for me. I didn't even get half-way up, and it's not a super long incline either. Same with the hills in Hampstead Heath: I went up a few hills and, despite it being really hard, I didn't give up. I remember last year, when I wanted to meet my friend in Hampstead Heath, and I just about managed to get to Archway Station. Uh, did I give up. Not saying that I'm getting up there effortlessly now, but I never give up anymore.
Same in Finsbury Park. It's less steep than this little hill in the above picture, but it's a long, and steady, incline. See this picture:



I did it for the first time completely, yesterday, and almost fell off my bike from exhaustion. Proud, nevertheless. Just after Christmas, I went for a ride with a friend, and while he went up the hills in no time, I was far behind (pretty annoying to be honest). I can't believe how much I've improved in just a month. He'll be well impressed when we go for the next ride.

No comments:

Post a Comment