Saturday 28 December 2013

It ain't no virgin anymore

Over the past few days I've finished the build of the new bike. As you know I had started with the project at my local bike shop and prepared it to the point that I could just slap the rest of the components/cables on and it would be ready. I decided to do it in my kitchen, and discovered that a gap in appliances make a wonderful bike stand.


Along the way, I learned that good cable cutters (preferably Shimano) are an essential for the (home) mechanic, so will have to try to get my hands on a pair soon. With inner and outer cables dangling off various places, I went to Finsbury Cycles to borrow theirs. After that, I was off to Mamachari, to work on the gears and chuck the front wheel into the truing stand. I'm rather proud to announce that my rear wheel is quite straight; the front wheel needed a little adjustment, but wasn't horribly out of true. Not bad for a first time wheel builder, eh?
I fiddled a long while with the gears, and had to bend the chain ring, too but, eventually, got everything sorted and let Noah take it for a quick test ride. I may be a mechanic myself, but I've not exactly worked on hundreds of bikes, and since I was going on a ride today, I wanted to be sure everything's fine. Luckily it was. 
Met with one of my cycling club members and off we went along the canal, through Hyde Park, stopped for a quick latte, and then went back. It was a joy. I must say that my heart beat a little faster knowing that I have build that bike. Anyway, here a few pictures of us (the bike and me!).

Viscount Aerospace Sport
Stella & the Viscount
Smiling despite the cold
Guess I have to work on that pose!




4 comments:

  1. Replies
    1. Cheers, Kev.

      Unfortunately not so elegant as you on your Viscount. :-)

      Delete
  2. Replies
    1. Thank you, Bendo. I still need to change the front brake, as it's a Mafac. I have a NOS Weinmann, but no bolt for it. Love the Mafac, but I'd like to keep it matching. And I'm also searching for top tube cable clips. And next time round to the bike shop, I'll mirror polish the stem.

      Delete