Wednesday 17 July 2013

Seat post (un)stuck!

Unfortunately also going to bike heaven. For the past few days, I've been carefully wiggling the seat post in Shawn's tube to pour some Plus Gas into it. The seat post was heavily stuck and didn't want to move one bit, the bugger. Luckily, Noah has plenty of experiences with stubborn seat posts and has given me a hand. I rode to his shop without tightening the pin, hoping that it would give way under my weight. It didn't. But I had faith in Noah's abilities and knowledge.
When I took off the seat, it became apparent that someone with no experience--or patience--really had butchered the seat post. Since it's alloy it's prone to scratch and deform easily if you use brute force. And  that's what had happened. It was torn in two places; I was riding around, unaware that it could break any moment. Scary thought, that.

Torn in two places!
 Noah cut the top off with a hacksaw, then put a socket inside to make it stronger. Then off into the vice and turning back and forth. That was the easiest part. I turned and Noah slowly pulled it up. A few minutes of doing so and voila, the seat post was freed.
Finally free!
Rusty ol' seat post (and my dirty hand)
In pieces to get access.
The Plus Gas had worked its magic, and I was more than relieved. It was time to inspect the tubing as I'd discovered a crack in it. I was hoping it was only the paint, but unfortunately, the crack is in the tube, too. It appears that it's not terribly dangerous, but I'll probably get it sorted at some point. For gentle urban riding it's okay, but I wouldn't go on longer trips with the bike.
Because I knew the seat post was for the bin, I've nicked the one of the blue Viscount Aerospace Sport. It's the same make and it fit neatly. I can't tell you how nice it is to cycle with straight knees, rather than hitting your chin while pedaling. People kept reciprocating my big smile on my way back.
Tomorrow, I'll put on the Brooks Professional saddle I bought on the bike jumble--better give it another rub with olive oil. Next are the wheels that need to be build. I have everything here, just need to kick my arse into gear to sit down and do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment