Saturday 13 July 2013

Dating a Viscount

The new Viscount frame
I know for sure that I'm dreaming about stuck hub bearings, bottom bracket replacements and cold-welded seat posts. Since I've started with the whole Viscount business, I've learned that when it comes to those wonderful bikes, nothing really is straight forward. It can be a tad frustrating but, on the other hand, I think that this trait makes them so special. Viscounts bicycles have their quirks; they are stubborn, resistant, and sometimes I even think they have a sense of humour. My Shawn refuses to hand over his seat post, as if he won't give up without a fight. Well, tough, my dear bike, I have Plus Gas and access to a vice; you may lose the battle here. A normal person would probably be put off Viscounts after encountering that many problems and difficulties after buying their first one--I believe Shawn's former owner did exactly that and threw him on a scrapyard--but I'm not normal, or better: on the verge of having lost my marbles, because instead I went to acquire some more. How's that for crazy?
You probably remember that I was gifted a Bilston-factory made Aerospace Sport frame in need of CPR; it's now arrived in London, freshly powder coated in Ruby Red, complete with newly fitted bottom bracket and surprise decals on it. On my way to pick it up, my heart was beating  a little faster, as if I were going on a blind date. Just that I knew what I was in for.
Olympic alloy pedals
John, who's recently been to the first ever Death Fork Rally, was kind enough to bring the frame (and other goodies) back to London, and I was rather excited to see his collection of bikes, particularly the golden Lambert. Yes, it's real-gold! And it's beautiful! So are his other Viscount bikes. He's got at least seven, I think, and has been a Viscount fan since the 80s. Gee, I'm such a rookie, but a rookie with now some more components, as John had a few things spare, he's given me. (Thank you both, Steve and John. It's much appreciated.) Anyway, if you'd like to see how a pack of Viscounts/Lamberts look like, take a look at these and those from the Death Fork Rally. Unfortunately, I couldn't make it this year, but next year, I'll definitely join--on the bike that's currently a frame only.
Port hole chain ring
The donor, Steve, the man I refer to as Mr. Viscount, an expert in all things Viscount and Lambert, has given me a pair of NOS (new old stock) cranks and my beloved port hole chain ring. The plan with that restoration project is to use only NOS or components that are in very good condition, plus I'll build the wheels myself. It's going to be red/white and I've given myself to 2014's rally.
In the meantime, I've got two other bikes to get road ready: Shawn, with his stuck seat post and the blue one. Re the seat post: I've removed the bolt and wiggled the seat a bit, then poured Plus Gas into the gap. Will repeat this for a few days and keep my fingers crossed. Then I'll bring him to Noah, who's offered me to help me get this seat post out. He's got a vice and plenty of
experiences with stuck seat posts, saying he's never been defeated. I hope this is not going to be the first time.Once that's done, I only need to build the new wheels, get a new seat post, change the cables, and everything should be fine.
The blue one isn't in bad shape either. I've taken the wheels off to change the bearings and for truing, and cleaned the whole bike to see what lies underneath the dust and dirt, and rust. I probably just replace the cables and the hubs' bearings. Oh, and have the fork rechromed. 
For now, it's the fight with the bearings. I needed to get the freewheel off, but it's an old Shimano skiptooth freewheel, so the standard tool won't fit. The diametre of the freewheel, where the tool slides in, is smaller than the standard ones. So where to get such a tool from? I thought if any shop has something like this lying around it's probably Vintage Bike Cave. Graham's been around for for what feels like decades and has stocked his cave from floor to ceiling with old bicycle parts. I love that place!

Shimao 'skiptooth' freewheel

Together we removed the freewheel and the axle, which, on retrospect, was silly on my part, because now I can't get the bearings out. One bearing being stuck is easy, but when both are stuck it's tricky. Guess I need to get myself a bearing puller. Or, perhaps knock the axle back in and out on the other side, which normally will result in the bearing being stuck on the axle. Will have to think about it. I'll keep you posted on this one, too.

2 comments:

  1. Well you are a lucky girl! Look at that frame! Can't wait to see pics of the finished bike. b

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bendo! Sorry I just saw this comment. Yes, I'm a lucky girl indeed and I'm eternally thankful for Steve's offer to have it repaired and powder-coated. I haven't even taken it out of the plastic cover so it won't be scratched. I'll protect it with my life, if necessary. :-)

    ReplyDelete