Tuesday 16 July 2013

It's just a wheel, or is it? Part 1

27" 1 1/4 wheels on LF Viscount hubs
I'm making slow progress on the blue bike, but have a good feeling that I'll be riding it this coming weekend. As you know I've cleaned it up and stored the frame for the time being while I'm taking care of the wheels. I took them off to give them a good once-over, replace the bearings, and clean the hubs and rims before truing them and putting new rim tape and tyres on. I'm still undecided if I'm going to change the tubes, as I'm not a waster. May put in new ones and keep the old for emergencies when on a ride. Better safe than sorry, eh? The old tyres were knackered--amber walls honey-coloured and brittle--they'll go to bicycle heaven.
New bearings 6000RS
However, I'm glad to have the bearings out and, using Noah's very handy vice, I was able to repair the minor damaged I had made to the threads since I had to hammer the axle in and out, and then in and out again. It's the only way to get the bearings out if you don't have a puller tool. And I've learned from last time's mistake and kept the nut on.
At least it's all sorted now, and I've spent two wonderful evenings amusing myself cleaning up the wheels and hubs, intoxicated by the fumes of GT 85 and cheap furniture polish. I can't be arsed to buy alloy polish, to be honest. The bike is old; I'm not going to get it repainted, so I'm fine with the bike being as clean as it gets. Let it show its history and age. It's fine. The only thing I want to be done is to get the fork rechromed as it's chipping badly. That's two forks I have to take care of.
I've then sat down and tightened the spokes which were rather loose. Will take the wheels to the lbs
Nail polish came in handy

tomorrow and see what damage I've done. Tightening spokes isn't truing, and since I've no idea what I'm doing, I may have done everything wrong. At least none of the spokes broke, that's good news, right?
No name, but pretty.
Regarding tyres: I've got some no-name ones I'd like to give a go. They aren't Schwalbe or Panaracer, but they were cheap and cheerful. Hopefully no punctures will take the cheer off the 'ful'. Sorry for the bad joke; it's hot, you see?
The bike will get new bar tape and a new saddle, oh, and it needs the brake and gear cables replaced, but I'm sure I can sort this out before this weekend.
Then I'll urgently return to Shawn's stuck seat post. I'm praying (not literally) for the Plus Gas to do the magic and it'll come out without any further resistance. Then I'll have to pester Graham from the Vintage Bike Cave to find me one of his Birmalux alloy seat posts so I can start riding Shawn, too. It's summer, after all. And I'd like to be prepared with at least one working bike for the Prudential Ride in August.
Fingers crossed!

No comments:

Post a Comment