Monday 8 July 2013

Ouch! Someone took my blinkers off.

Have you ever fallen for something, bought it, then learned that you didn't use your brain when making an uninformed decision?
Raise your hands! See how quickly mine shot up? Yep. I think I may have been blind as bat to his faults and only saw the good in him.
I knew the bottom bracket had play, but I didn't know if it's an easy fix or not. From what I remember of my teenage years, everything was just a matter of 'tightening' it a bit and it'll be fine. Then again I only cycled on good ol' German 3-gear bicycles, not fancy racers.
When I spotted Shawn, I threw all my common sense overboard and, after cycling back and forth a few times, handed over the money: 125 pounds to be precise. I was a rather happy bunny ... until I learned that the wheels aren't the right size. 700c for what's meant to be a 27" 1 1/4. I rode around for about four weeks when I had a puncture. A case for the bike shop. Yes, you read right, I haven't repaired a puncture in my life. Sad, isn't it? Next 'injury' was a broken spoke. Again, off to the bike shop. I still was convinced to have bought a 'well-running' bicycle. Then the bottom bracket made problems, the play became more. I learned that it's not a case of 'just tightening it'. Instead it needed to be replaced. This time I tackled it myself. Why start easy with punctures when you can jump ahead, eh? Read my post about it here.
And now I've got another urgent matter: a very stuck seat post. My knees were hitting my chin (of course I'm exaggerating, but the seat really is too low) when pedalling and didn't even think it's unusual. It felt all right to me and I was able to put my toes on the ground when stopping at the traffic light. What difference saddle height makes became apparent when I bought the Sprint. The frame's slightly too large for me, meaning I can stand with both feet flat on the ground, but the top tube is, well, right where it shouldn't be. A rule of thumb is to have a bit of space (two inches/5cm) between tube and bits that can get severely hurt. Apart from that, it feels really comfortable to ride that bike. I'm not too much stretched forward, and my knees don't hurt. Lesson learned.
Maltreated alloy seat post
But back to Shawn and his stuck seat post. It's an original Birmalux, made from alloy and probably came with the bike in 1976. Shame only that it won't move one bit, stubbornly sticking to the frame as if its life depended on it. This is most probably the result of the materials (seat post and frame) being cold-welded. Please don't ask me how that works, I only know that it's a chemical reaction--good for romance, not so good for frames and seat posts--that makes both stick together. This poses a big problem for me as I'd like to have the seat in a higher position. Now how to get this done?
There is plenty of advice available, but the Master of Viscounts has said I should try the hot/cold method. Lots of spit (not really) and patience will be required. I just need to find a way to get my hands on a torch. Blimey, I think my neighbours will soon start to worry about their safety. Rest assured, I've used a Bunsen burner in chemistry and I've welded in physics, so I won't burn down the house. I promise.
Once this issue is sorted, I'll have to change the gear cables, and most possibly do the brake cables at the same time. Better to be safe than sorry. I remember that as a teenager, my front brake tore and I cycled straight into the back of my friend. She wasn't really pleased and I don't blame her. In London's traffic it's certainly better to make sure the cables aren't worn. If they tear there's a lot more waiting for me than a friend's soft back. As I mentioned beforehand, I'm also going to build new wheels for Shawn, so if all goes well, I'll be taking him for a spin at London's Prudential Ride in August this year.
As much as I course about the accumulating costs that this bike is inflicting on me, I also appreciate everything I'm learning along the way. Had I bought a perfectly fine bike, I'd never experienced the wonderful feeling of achievement I have when, after lots of hours and elbow grease, something's back in working order. Shawn, being my first road bike, is teaching me the ropes and I'm grateful for it. Keep your blinkers, I'll be just fine without them.

No comments:

Post a Comment