Friday 7 November 2014

It all starts with an idea

I'm talking about the bike build. Especially since I've started experimenting with translating my visions into reality. The process of phantasising about a bicycle, made to your own taste and needs is an intoxicating one; and the pride you feel when everything comes together and people stop you in the street to admire your work ... 
Well, today I've brought the Indy500 frame to the powder coaters. I'm firmly sticking to my idea of stripping it and leaving it naked. Unfortunately, it's possibly not going to be as silver as I'd like to; due to the phosphating (to protect the steel from rusting), which darkens the metal. Still, the weldings will be clearly visible and that's the look I'm after: clean and bare frame and forks. This bike will be a commuter, so it'll have mudguards (I'm looking for a rear one in red) and most likely raiser handlebars (with red grips), taken from this bike:


Of course I'll build my own wheels in 27 1 1/4, and I'll keep it in Viscount style. 
Speaking of which: I spotted one (I assume Sport or Sprint) in Dalston, and had to take a picture. Not sure to whom it belongs, but I think it may be Billy's, the guy who works at Cafe Oto, as I faintly remember him saying that his old Viscount went to bicycle heaven and he'd got a new one. But I may be wrong here. Nevertheless, it's always a pleasure to see this wonderful make carrying people around London (and anywhere else).


And something else: my beloved Viscount Sprint is finally getting its last honour; it'll go to the hands of my friend Ben from BikeBox, who will make it look pretty to entice customers to pop by his container. So I'm saying farewell to one of  my most favourite rides, but with a smile on my face as I'll be able to see it every time when I visit Ben at work. 

No comments:

Post a Comment