Wednesday 12 November 2014

What a disaster!

Today, I went to pick up the Indy 500 frame, giddy up to the gills; I mean I really couldn't wait to gather all the parts and get started on the build. When I took a first look at the frame I was delighted; the steel hadn't darkened too much in the phosphoring process, and the welds had come out really beautiful with the cold colour. In short: the result were far better than I'd had expected.
As usual, I gave the frame a quick once over, starting at the bottom bracket, and what a shock it was to discover that it had quite an impressive crack! Something that was overlooked. It should have been picked up right after the sand blasting, but somehow wasn't (mistakes can happen, we're all human). A shame nevertheless, particularly as we all agreed that the frame looks fabulous in its naked form.
As this frame is not particularly valuable (it's lugged, not fillet brazed, nor is it Aerospace tubing), I've decided to write it off, rather than getting it repaired. I'll keep it for when I open my own shop (I'm still dreaming about it, yes) to build it up and use it as decorative window display; it's a Viscount, after all, and therefore deserves a special place.

Rather prominent crack

Good thing I got it stripped!

Stunning!

Beautiful gold-framed lugs

Anyway, this means I'm looking for another frame (and forks) for my 'bare steel' project. Of course it has to be a Viscount! No question about that. It also means I'll need some time and patience as Viscounts don't crop up too often--if so, they're totally overpriced. Maybe this means I should get a wiggle on with the Lambert. If only I could find a rear Lambert hub!

No comments:

Post a Comment