Sunday 30 November 2014

Please rescue me!

Happy bird!
It called and I came to welcome yet another Viscount into my loving arms. This time it's a beautiful Viscount Aerospace Gran Prix, which is essentially the same bike as my Lambert G.P. Deluxe--just under a different branding and in white/blue. I found this bike on eBay--no, wrong, one of my Viscount family found it and pointed it out, all I did was go and make sure it goes to a good home. It arrived at the shop on Friday, but I couldn't touch it until today, so you can imagine that I was all eager to get to work.
The story behind this bike is that an Australian couple moved into a house (here in UK), after the old man, who lived there beforehand, had passed away; and the bike was left in the shed. They didn't think anything of it and filled the shed up with their own belongings until they now, 25 years later, moved out and de-cluttered the shed. The bike emerged again and they wanted to throw it away. Their window cleaner thought it would be a shame, took it, put it on eBay and the rest is history. I put the bike together (it was partly dismantled), pumped up the tyres and took it for a really quick spin around the block. Man, it felt familiar immediately. Sometimes I think you could sit me on a bike and let me ride it blind folded, and I'd recognise a Viscount or Lambert. Smooth, even after 25 years of not being ridden! Okay, the headset's a little stiffer than it should be, and the cables are seized up, but that's all the bike needs doing, really. I could even move the seat post up without any problems. The powder coating is in very good nick, almost immaculate, and the blue bits are beautifully hand-painted. It came with a thermos flask, which had my colleagues in stitches.

But enough of the talking, here are the pictures. Be prepared to be amazed!

With mark 3 death fork

Just a pretty sight

An example of Viscount using up Lambert parts

Titlist front mech in great condition

Titlist RD with a bit of rust

Curious little sticker

I hope I can rescue this rusty bottle holder and make it shine again. Perfect transfer underneath

Stunning paint job (and fillet brazing)

Viscount brakes 

Viscount hubs complete with QR

Birmalux seat post!

Wrights saddle in need of some nutrition

Brake lever playing dress-up

Couldn't resist to put that bike in the window till Tuesday

6 comments:

  1. Hey Stell, lovely bike! Just beware, those Lambert toe straps are pretty fragile. Even if they look in good nick, the leather's pretty thin. So take care when tightening. b

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Bendo! How the devil are you doing? Thanks for the tip. I plan on leaving them as 'loose' as they are. After Michael's post last night, I'm more worried about the pedals falling apart. :-(

      Delete
  2. I'd agree with b about those straps. Mine are now retired pre-tear but looking ready to go.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. :-( Like the pedals. I particularly like the blue Lambert ones for the blue bike. Do you think a bit of Proofide or similar would help?

      Delete
  3. Lovely looking bike Stella. It looks in great nick too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, isn't it. Hey, by the way. It's my favourite ride at the moment. :-)

      Delete