Sunday 29 June 2014

Viscount & Lambert extravaganza

Hello, hello. My apologies for being quiet recently; the reason being was my being extremely ... err busy challenged with the 'secret mission' bike I was building for the rally. And, to be honest, there was a point when I thought I would need to give up and take the red flash. Luckily, I got the bike ready, literally last minute, even though it missed the final touches (fine tuning). Feel free to admire the newest addition of my fleet here.
A teaser: picture courtesy of John
Anyway, with the bike ready for take off, I went to sleep one last time before the big event.
I woke filled with excitement: finally, the day of the Death Fork Rally 2 had arrived. I'd only waited a year for that day to come. Okay, I have to say that getting up at 5am didn't really sound enticing, but the anticipation of meeting the guys I've been chatting and e-mailing with over the last twelve months, had me leaping out of bed and into the shower. And it wasn't long until I was heading to Euston station, tired yet wide awake, happiness flooding through me; I had great expectations, but somehow knew that they'd be met.
My cheery mood was only dampened by the mere fact that the bolts which hold the outer chain ring and the crank arm together, took on a life of their own by coming loose every few miles; that meant I had to stop every now and again and re-tighten them--not ideal if you have a train to catch. Good thing I packed a set of spanners and a flat-head screw driver, wasn't it?
I arrived at the camp site at about ten-ish, I think. Could have been there much earlier, but true to my sense of direction--or better lack thereof--I was anxiously riding back and forth the road the camp was on, still missing it. I could, of course, just blame the rain, but nobody would believe me anyway. Yeah, yeah, joke's on me. :-)
Everyone was already busy pouring (pun not intended) over the Viscounts and Lamberts which had been lined up against a fence, ready to go on a group ride. And, boy, what a sight! Some had brought two or even three bikes, and Jem, who kindly organised everything, had brought his Trusty folder in mint condition; it became our I'll-quickly-cycle-over-to-the-other-side-of-the-(small)-camp bike. I think it's fair to say that it was the most popular bike.

Nice legs there!
Even bad weather can't put us off
Mate, those wheels are original!
Tentville
Viscounts and Lamberts everywhere
After greeting hugging everyone, I started to take every bike for a spin. My mission was to ride every single one, but I kept being side-tracked by new arrivals, more greeting and hugging, and chatting, that I'm sure I've missed a few. Be warned: I'll come for your bikes next year!
Just before we left we took a group photo--certainly a must.
That's at least 16 bikes preserved
Stoatie, the unlucky sod, had a puncture just a minute after starting, but he fixed it in no time and caught up with us soon after. I'm still puzzled as to how he did that and secretly believe he's got super powers. Those, however didn't protect him from getting a second puncture about ten miles in; this time, the sealant worked its magic and we all breathed a sigh of relief as we felt for the poor man. The route was rather beautiful and scenic; quiet--albeit a bit rough--paths through the fields and some curvy roads away from heavy traffic; we even had some rather enjoyable descents. Everyone made an effort trying to chat to one another, moving from person to person in order to get to know each other, or just say hi. Every now and again we were overtaken by two of them who took great pleasure in taking pictures and videos of 'the pack'.
The results can be seen here and here.
We stopped at a pub for more chatting, some ales, lagers, and food, before hopping back onto the saddles for the second half of the 24-mile-ride.







Now, even the sun had made an appearance, which was greatly appreciated by everyone. Here's a video one of us took for our Viscount and Lambert club friends from the US and Down Under, and those who couldn't make it.


Once back at the camp we said goodbye to the day-trippers, but not before Steve had ridden the Viscountess. I think the smile speaks for itself.

Not sure what he's looking for, but ...
... the bike got his approval
Those of us who stayed went out for a well-earned dinner. There were some good inclines on the ride, but everyone kept up just fine. The evening ended with us sitting in a large tent, discussing ideas for next year's Death Fork Rally, while having a lager or cider, before we scattered to find our night rest.
What can I say? I've thoroughly enjoyed the past two days and am very much looking forward to DFR3 2015

6 comments:

  1. Great write up! I feel as if I was almost with you on the ride...oh wait, I was with you on the ride.
    The Viscountess did indeed look fine.
    Looking forward to DFR3 2015

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great stuff Stella, lovely to meet you and thanks for being such fun :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Likewise. :-) Hope you didn't get caught in traffic.

      Delete
  3. Ha! You definitely were on the ride and your Deore is a fine bike, too. Really liked it. And the Delta, of course. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Stella, Love the blog, the pics, and the whole idea of a death fork ride. Makes me want to put a death fork right back on one of the beasts and join you all in spirit next time. I was given an old beat up Viscount 30 years ago and it was the quietest and smoothest bike I ever rode. Still have it of course. Since then I've fixed up a few more and love them all dearly. Think I have five brazed Viscs, and two Lamberts, one lugged. Fixed up two -to 24 and 27 gears, one is a single speed, the rest ten speeds ( all longing for their forks back). Thought I was the only super fan, but I see you have the same affliction. Love the yellow one, and the pink one, didn't know they came in those colors, maybe they didn't import them to the USA. Most of mine were red and white, the lugged Lambert a beautiful ruby red, like one of your Viscs. Can't tell you how delighted I am to hear about some more enthusiastic Viscount fans. About the yellow one- I'm pretty sure it's a regular English threaded BB. Velo Orange has a pricey little solution for the threadless ones, but it has sealed bearings and it's quiet as a mouse..Looking forward to more pics of the next DF ride. Nice Blog! - Lar from USA.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey, Lar.

      Thank you for stopping by. And my friends from the US will be VERY glad to hear there's another addition to the 'fan club'. The pink and yellow ones aren't original; I custom built them for me and the yellow for my friend. Just the parts were 'like they were back then'.

      If you like please join our Viscount & Lambert board, you'll find quite a few more enthusiasts. It's free and it's easy to join, plus we welcome everyone: http://viscountandlambert.boards.net/

      Delete