Monday 21 April 2014

DFR2 training well under way

My partners in crime
It seems that the weather gods have read yesterday's post as I woke to wonderful sunshine and blue sky. Yes, the announced rain didn't happen. Okay, that's not quite true, it happened, but only a short, powerful shower, and it began when we arrived at a pub and was long gone when we continued our journey. We started at Finsbury Park, through Seven Sisters and entered Lea Valley at Tottenham, riding along the tow path towards the east end where we stopped at the aforementioned pub. Very traditional, with a little outside space and upstairs restaurant. Cute! When we stepped out onto the terrace, you could almost forget that you were in London; it felt like you had magically gone through a worm whole and came out in Brighton. Unfortunately, I couldn't shoot a better picture as the clouds hung low and heaven chucked quite a bit of water over us.


So we retreated inside and had a pint. I have to train for the Death Fork Rally2
Ha! As if I  need training to down a few pints. Never mind. We had a drink each and soon were back in our saddles. The sun had come out again and the river Lea was calling. Dan pedantically insisted it's a river, not the canal, and right he is.
Anyhow, just going along this beautiful river is amazing. I love those boats, the people living on them, who smile and wave at you, the community spirit among them; it appears to be a different world, away from the hectic live in London. Next month, my friend will be visiting me, staying for a week, and I know exactly where we're going. She loves cycling just as much as I do, so we'll be out and about on Viscounts. And why not along the tow path? There's so much to see, like Springfield Park, which is a lovely piece of green, or the Markfield Beam Engine, which we visited briefly today. Unfortunately we were too late for the 'action', but I'm sure I'll go on the 5th of May again. There's Victoria Park, and the cafe in there sells a rather delicious lemon drizzle, plus the staff are really nice. Of course there's the German Deli Warehouse shop, where you can either stop by for a quick meal, or top up (like me) on liquorice. If you're after a pizza, there's The Crate, a bit too hipster, for my taste, but it's a convenient stop to have a beer and loo break. They also brew their own lager, and we had a few of them.
DFR2 Boot Camp
Not sure if I was seeing double
I don't know if it was the alcohol which let the tools appear a lot BIGGER or if my hands had shrunk ...

All in all it was a very lovely day and certainly one we agreed to repeat.

No comments:

Post a Comment