Sunday 20 April 2014

By the looks of it: a rainy Easter ride

My Viscount at Alexandra Palace
 There's only one word to describe how the weather's been in the past few weeks: gorgeous! Lots of sun and blue sky and perfect for scenic rides. Sadly, right in time for the holidays, it has changed, chucking down rain all over London, and tomorrow's forecast is looking equally bleak. Damn! My mate and I had planned our ride for weeks and then this. Pfff! I certainly hope that the forecast is wrong and we get at least a dry day. And I will force nature into positivity by posting pictures of last week's ride into the countryside, into which Ben, my mate and fellow mechanic, whom I will share a workspace with, lead me. We went from north London to Potters Bar and back. It's a bit hilly for me and, after the second steeper one, I started to whinge extensively, only to stop muttering in favour of breath in order to climb up the third. I had to discover that riding 26 miles through flat terrain doesn't really compare to 20 miles of hilly roads. Ha, you'll probably laugh, common sense would have to you, Stella. Yes, if only I had known how hilly the bloody countryside is. And that after I had been to the hilly south recently! What the heck was I thinking?
Anyway, I got rewarded with beautiful locations to take pictures of and an astonishing view over London. That made is all worth the huffing and puffing and I've already told Ben that I'd like to do it again--with a little less whinging on my part next time. He just laughed and said, 'Ah, I don't mind, I knew you could do it!'
Why, thank you, Ben, that's reassuring. :-)

Ben on top of the world

A beautiful reward
By the way: the Giant and Viscount have got on very well.

2 comments:

  1. That's a cracking photo at the top of your post Stella.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you. I think we were there right at the right time as the light just started to disappear. It has a bit of nostalgia to it, hasn't it?

      Delete