Saturday 26 April 2014

A poorly Viscount in surgery

I think I need help; something isn't right with me. You see, my dream is to open a reptile rescue centre; instead it seems I'm heading straight for a Viscount rescue centre; I can't seem to pass on good offers--particularly not if they're Viscounts in need of love. Therefore my collection has now a new addition: a curious find with its front lugged and the rear fillet brazed. There were only two models that came like that and that was the Victor and the Sebring. This one doesn't have any further transfers which could indicate it's either of them. Instead it feels like a 'let's slap on what we have in our parts box' bike with cottered cranks, steel pedals, alloy stem and handlebar, as well as alloy seat post and brakes. And the merry mixing and matching doesn't stop there: Huret shifters with a Suntour RD, although I assume it was changed later as the front mech is Huret, too. The Weinmann side pull brakes may be original as well. To be honest, I have no clue. What I do know, though is that it will make a smashing bike when I'm done with it. It's getting a new colour, the old parts from my beloved Sprint (BB, shifter, mechs and crankset). and a new handlebar. I've decided to steal this bike's handlebar to use it for the Indy-fixie project. Oh, don't you even think for a second I've forgotten about it; no, no. It just needs to take a back seat while I'm working on my rally bike and this new project. Those out of the way, it'll be time for the Indy. Or maybe even in between.

Anyhow, here are the pictures of the new bike. I'll also nick the mud guards for the Indy. As it's going to be sand-blasted, I'll see if I can fine some red gimmicks (seat?) for it to make it match. We'll see.

Victor or Sebring? 

I really want those stickers for my rally bike!

Great grips and Weinmann levers

Cottered cranks on a Viscount?

Quite interesting Suntour RD

The adjuster for the ladies with long fingernails

The bike in surgery

4 comments:

  1. Good evening Miss , could you have a Friday bike ? . ie POETS day .. Piss Off Early Tomorrow Is Saturday, Quick lads put these bikes together then lets get down the Frog & toad to the rub a dub dub for a pigs ear

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good morning, sir. I'd say with a Viscount the possibilities are endless. I particularly like your last suggestion. :-)

      Delete
  2. Keep us posted Stella. I have just peeled open the drop out on one of my bikes (not the Viscount, thankfully!) in a way similar to that, and I'd love to know if you come up with a fix...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. So you noticed the err ... unusual angle of the drop out? I'll tell you what I do: I'll send it to Busaste, who knows a good bike fixer; one that has fixed my red flash. I hope he'll be able to bend it back in shape. I tried, but it moved in the vice. Normally, I try to 'undo' by going back the same way the bend was caused, but I couldn't apply enough force. Glad you could 'safe' your frame.

      Delete