Saturday 21 December 2013

The question is why?

Why I'm procrastinating, that is. I mean I have a perfectly ready frame--graphics and all, with the bottom bracket already fitted; I have Shawn, with the cracked seat tube, but am I doing what I wanted to do for ages? No! Drives me insane. It's not that I don't know how to do it; I even have most tools needed to make the job of stripping Shawn and putting the components onto the new frame easy. Yet, I'm procrastinating to do so. Okay, I don't have a work stand, but it's not necessarily a must, is it? Until the end of gear setting, but I can do that at the shop. I have a back garden and the weather's on my side, so what's holding me back? I haven't got a clue. Admittedly, because I was waiting for some important parcels I didn't really want to leave the house, but that didn't keep me from spending hours at Micycle, playing with wheels.
Maybe it's because I worry to damage the precious frame. It's all brand new (old) and doesn't have a mark
on it. Yet. On the other hand, it'll get some marks at some point as I plan to ride the bike. Perhaps I just need to kick myself in the backside and get things done. If the weather stays like this over Christmas, I'll be going for some rides. The good thing is: I'd planned the wheels I'd recently build for Shawn originally for the new Viscount, so maybe it was fate that had Shawn's seat tube cracking. I'll definitely keep that frame, get it repaired and resprayed. Oh, yes!
Talking about wheels: I'll be building wheels to order soon. Mainly because I love doing it, but also because I'm passionate about restoration projects. Anyone can slap on any ol' 700c wheels off the peg, but I'd like to offer hand-build Vintage wheels: with high flanges and 27 1 1/4. They look really nice and, from own experience, they also ride pretty nice.
Anyway, I'm waiting for the Park Tool WAG4 dishing tool, and am saving for a TS 2.2 wheel truing stand. After that nothing holds me back. :-)
And as for the Viscount: I think I'll get it done tomorrow, or Sunday, perhaps on Monday, or over Christmas ... definitely this year. I hope.

No comments:

Post a Comment