Friday 22 November 2013

Proud as

I've been cycling around on Shawn and his new wheels and am happy to announce they've not fallen apart yet. Okay, it's not been that many miles, but still ... I built the wheels and so far, they're still running true. See how pretty Shawn now looks? A proper Viscount.

Viscount Aerospace Sport with 27" wheels
Funny thing is that Noah initially assumed that I'd hate building wheels as it takes concentration and patience, both of which I have a clear shortage on--particularly when tired. Contrary to his assumption I'm actually quite loving it. Admittedly, I still haven't done spoke measuring, but it's really not that difficult--be it by hand or with the aid of one of the many websites. I'll probably use Wheel Pro, which is by Roger Musson, who has published an easy to follow wheel-building guide. Caution: do not calculate when under the influence.
Back then, I had the help of Arup; he showed me how to measure the ERD (effective rim diameter). He said that even when one orders the rims online, he'd rather measure himself than take a manufacturer's word for granted, and rightly so. My rims weren't what they were supposed to be. Phew, seeking his advice certainly saved me money. In general, building wheels yourself costs less and they're also stronger.
I bought Ridiga rims--27" 1 1/4 polished alloy from eBay for £25 the pair. And I had the high flange Viscount hubs for about £25 from a jumble. The spokes (DT Swiss Champion and Competition), plus nipples and postage (Rose bikes) were about £35. That's the wheels done for £85. A decent pair of wheels would start at about £120 (so I was told). Since I didn't want any ol' rims or hubs, but particular ones, I would've paid £40 for Arup to build them. In the end, I've saved exactly that amount and got the pleasure of producing something I can be proud of myself. 
Three-cross on Viscount hub
It is a labour of love if you're just beginning; it takes me about ten to fifteen minutes to lace a wheel (36 holes, 3-cross), but anything from an hour to three to make it round and true. I remember my first try of just truing a wheel of a mamachari, and hell, did I make a pretzel out of it. I had no idea what to do, about spoke tension, or which way to turn the spoke key. Luckily, I had Noah, who had enough calmness to deal with my tantrums. I found it really difficult to 'get' which direction I had to turn the spoke key to loosen or tighten the nipples. Drove me insane. I struggle with nuts and bolts anyway--no idea why I can't get it into my head, but in the world of bicycles with its left-threaded where it should be right is screwing with my head. Excuse the bad pun. After hot tears of fury, I eventually found a way to remember and simply learned it by heart. That's wheels sorted--pedals, however, remain a source of confusion. I'll get there ... one day.
Anyway, I just wanted to share my thoughts on wheel-building and that it's a very good skill to have, particularly if you are a keen rider with more than one or two bikes. I'd like to encourage you to do a course, don't be scared. It's fun, it's wonderful, and it's given you a great sense of achievement.
Safe riding.

No comments:

Post a Comment