Sunday 6 October 2013

Viscount Aerospace Pro--a dream

Life is hectic at the moment, but nothing will keep me from riding, particularly not if it's as smooth as my newest bike. In August, I acquired a 100% original Viscount Aerospace Pro (I think it's a 1977/78) which I intended to do up for my friend. Unfortunately, Noah and I got really excited about the idea of restoring it and, every time we looked at the bike, there, hanging on the shop's wall, we nodded at each other with a sigh, until he said: 'You really should keep this, it's so rare to find something this original.'
I pondered, then decided he's right. Luckily, my friend later said she'd rather have a bike being build by me, than get something I bought and just handed over to her. Phew! So, that means I'm on the hunt for another small Viscount frame (19/20 inches), but there's worse situations to be in. The best of all: I have a new Viscount for my collection. And what a stunner it is. Okay, there's quite a bit of rust, where the chrome has gone, I didn't even clean it, since it's going to be restored soon, but I took it out for a proper spin today and was blown away. Such an easy ride. I mean I shouldn't be surprised, it's an Aerospace, after all, and since I've sat on more than a few, I can safely say, you cannot go wrong with those bicycles. Ever!
And so you can also drool over this wonderful find, here are some pictures of it.













By the way: bumped into another Viscount on my way to the shop; of course I had to stop the guy and tell him that he's riding on a piece of history. He said he's been riding it every day for the past three years and is loving it. Long live the Viscount!

5 comments:

  1. Well, you're a lucky girl aren't you? I had one of those back in the days when..... Just the same as that one. It was a joy to behold and such a great ride. (Well, my memory stirs those sort of feelings about it. Whether they're true, or I'm delusional, I'm not sure.) Keep us up to date with the restoration. Should come up a treat.
    Greg

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello, Greg.
      Yes, I'm a lucky girl and glad to hear from someone who's had one back then. I must say, all my Viscounts are special and great rides, and I'm so proud to be able to keep this piece of history alive.

      Thank you for stopping by,

      Stella

      Delete
  2. When I told a friend that I had a viscount she said it might kill me because the front forks like to snap… All was well when it became obvious that mine had terrible steel forks.

    I had just had my hand built Holdworthy racer nicked over christmas and needed a new ride but funds were low. My bike shop had never had seen a lugless bike before, I was smitten but could only afford the steel forked version and needed wheels to get to work. Those forks felt horrid and the saddle was nasty but I grew to love it so much that I still have it in the shed keeping an original Moulton company.

    You would cry if you saw it with a sprung Brooks saddle and it sometimes has hub gears which I got for winter riding . Perhaps it was an early powder coat paint but it certainly chips, the blue has long been buried under a coat of black hammerite to make it undesirable to thieves…

    I found you whilst wondering if I could do something with the old nameless Viscount for a holiday in Denmark next year. I had forgotten how many nails get broken working with dirty greasy bits until I read your posts! Hard to believe mine has survived nearly forty years of my abuse...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello - I had a 1977 Viscount - a beautiful piece of machinery and craftsmanship. Rode it hundreds of miles before the store called to say the fork needed to be replaced ASAP. I went, they replaced. I wanted to keep the old one as an artifact. Not allowed. Just set up a flickr album of pages from my scrapbook about the bike. Thought to share. Steve Heimerle in San Francisco

    https://www.flickr.com/photos/collageman/sets/72157648829545492/

    ReplyDelete
  4. so i have a viscount i just restored but nobody seems to know what it is, was wondering if you could help me. i have a maybe 1976 viscount aerospace gran touring. ive been reserching for hours but cant find anything about this model

    ReplyDelete