Friday 21 June 2013

Guess the tool

And another older post:

Do you know what this is? Let me give you a hint: you need it for a bicycle. Those of you who have a bit of experience will recognise this important tool: it's a crank puller. I had to learn there's no servicing a bottom bracket without it. Speaking of which: I could write a short story about my experience getting this bugger out of the frame. It would also make for good comedy value for a screen play. Seriously. Just picture blonde me, armed with a bucket full of tools: spanners of different sizes, a hammer, multi-grip pliers, a few screws (loose), something that resembles a bolt to put IKEA furniture together, and last, but not least my trusted can of GT 85.
Off I went downstairs in the back garden to get some serious bottom bracket removal done. I had a cunning plan, but had no idea if I could do it. First, I needed that damn stuck piece of bolt out of the spindle. Not an easy task, but I wasn't ready to be defeated just yet, so I made a loop out of thin wire and tried to put it around it. The plan was to tie it up nicely to be able to unscrew the bit. Didn't work. Hmm. I scratched my head for a minute and decided I may as well just get the spindle out for easier drilling the bit out upstairs later.
Right, decisively, I rolled up my non-existing sleeves, grabbed another bolt which I screwed into the other end of the spindle, a hex nut and rubber washer underneath, then braced the frame against my legs, took a deep breath and whacked it a few times.
There, the spindle, still with one bearing attached came out. I let go of a tiny squeal, undid the hex nut and bolt, and pulled the spindle out. With a long tool that had a larger, flat-ish surface on one side, I pushed the other bearing out.
Spindle with one bearing attached
A well and truly shot bearing
Not only good for furnitur
Time for some 'Yes! Victory'-pose and a deep sigh before examining the bottom bracket shell and the spindle a bit closer. The spindle was badly corroded, but I had hopes that a night in vinegar would perhaps sort this out. But there was still that broken bit inside, and it bugged me that I failed to get it out. Think, Stella, think outside the box, I told myself and grabbed that odd piece to put furniture together, put it over the broken bolt and carefully turned it. It moved! I couldn't believe my luck. With unknown patience I continued to screw until it fell out! Success. Now that was reason to validate a dance. And I did. In the back garden, on my own, not even caring if one of my neighbours might watch. It was a moment of pride. All I had to do now was to clean the BB shell and put Shawn away. Since one bearing was still sitting on the spindle, there was nothing else to do than wait.
The new spindle
I went upstairs to share the good news of the spindle being saved, only to learn that it was shot--the corrosion was too heavy and it would have been too dangerous to put it back, even if I had been able to get the bearing off. Steve, a lovely man and Viscount expert has kindly sent me a new one, and I noticed it has three grooves, which means I may be a bit more flexible with the crank set, particularly as he knows that I'm so in love with the Aerospace Pro ones. If you don't know how they look, google Viscount Aerospace Pro chainring (or just click this link) and be prepared to fall in love; it's a real thing of beauty. Steve has been a life saver in many aspects; he's provided me with so much advice, shared his knowledge about those incredible bikes; he's even working on a little project that is another frame which will be repaired and powder-coated in ruby red, fitted with a new bottom bracket and bearing so I'll have a proper restoration project. On top of it, he's going to mirror polish a Viscont hub he's giving me, and another hub I'm going to send him. I mean if I restore a Viscount Aerospace Sport, I need to do it properly, right? And those hubs, as everything Viscount-related, is something special: it has sealed bearings, on top of looking really pretty. See for yourself:

Found it at the bike jumble


As you can see, I'm pretty busy learning about a whole new world out there. My 36-hole alloy rims have arrived, too, and tomorrow, the tyres will be delivered. It's all a bit in stages; I'm sourcing, collecting, inquiring, and comparing a lot, and trust me, this hobby is a money pit, but I'm absolutely looking forward to ride both bikes. In the meantime I'm getting around on the Viscount Sprint, which is a pretty comfortable bike, too. I may even have a buyer for it, so once Shawn is ready for the road again, I'll sell the Sprint. Need the space, there are two more frames waiting to be brought back to life. :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment